Our work applies both quantitative and qualitative research methods to understand complex multifaceted factors underpinning community health.
Our work “imports” and “exports” model health programs between Asian and Western regions.
Since the Great East Japan earthquake, we have been working closely with public health nurses in Fukushima, helping them respond appropriately to health issues related to a nuclear power plant accident.
Family planning, parenting support, capacity building of health professionals, health literacy
Recent selected publications
- Henning M, Goto A, Chi C, Rudd RE. Community health workers as the critical building blocks for health system strengthening: A two-case study of innovative CHWs in Zambia and Japan. Journal of Communication in Healthcare. 2015; 8: 241-249.
- Lai AY, Goto A, Rudd RE. Advancing health literacy from a system perspective: Health literacy training for healthcare professionals. European Health Psychologist. 2015; 17: 281-285. http://www.ehps.net/ehp/index.php/contents/article/view/825
- Goto A, Lai AY, Rudd RE. Health literacy training for public health nurses in Fukushima: A multi-site program evaluation. Japan Medical Association Journal. 2015; 58 (3): 1-9. https://www.med.or.jp/english/journal/pastissue.html
- Reich MR, Goto A. Towards long-term responses in Fukushima. Lancet. 2015; 386: 498-500. http://www.thelancet.com/pdfs/journals/lancet/PIIS0140-6736(15)61030-3.pdf
- Goto A, Bromet EJ, Fujimori K; Pregnancy and Birth Survey Group of Fukushima Health Management Survey. Immediate effects of the Fukushima nuclear power plant disaster on depressive symptoms among mothers with infants: A prefectural-wide cross-sectional study from the Fukushima Health Management Survey. BMC Psychiatry. 2015; 15: 59. http://bmcpsychiatry.biomedcentral.com/articles/10.1186/s12888-015-0443-8
- Goto A, Rudd RE, Lai AY, Yoshida-Komiya. Health literacy training for public health nurses in Fukushima: A case-study of program adaptation, implementation and evaluation. Japan Medical Association Journal. 2014; 57 (3): 146-153. https://www.med.or.jp/english/journal/pastissue.html
- Goto A, Rudd RE, Bromet EJ, Suzuki Y, Yoshida K, Suzuki Y, Halstead DD, Yoshida-Komiya H, Reich MR. Maternal confidence of Fukushima mothers before and after the nuclear power plant disaster in Northeast Japan: Analyses of municipal health records. Journal of Communication in Healthcare. 2014; 7: 106-116.
- Goto A, Rudd RE, Lai AY, Yoshida K, Suzuki Y, Halstead DD, Yoshida-Komiya H, Reich MR. Leveraging public health nurses for disaster risk communication in Fukushima City: A qualitative analysis of nurses' written records of parenting counseling and peer discussions. BMC Health Services Research. 2014; 14: 129. http://bmchealthservres.biomedcentral.com/articles/10.1186/1472-6963-14-129
- Goto A, Reich MR, Yuriko S, Tsutomi H, Watanabe E, Yasumura S. Parenting in Fukushima City in the post-disaster period: Short-term strategies and long-term perspectives. Disasters. 2014; 38 Suppl 2: s179-s189.
- Baba S, Goto A, Reich MR. Recent pregnancy trends among early adolescent girls in Japan. Journal of Obstetrics and Gynaecology Research. 2014; 40: 125-132.
- Ngoma AM, Goto A, Yamazaki S, Machida M, Kanno T, Nollet KE, Ohto H, Yasumura S. Barriers and motivators to blood donation among university students in Japan: Development of a measurement tool. Vox Sanguinis. 2013; 105: 219-224.
- Goto A, Suzuki Y, Tsutomi H, Nguyen QV, Nguyen TTV, Yamazaki S, Yasumura S. The process of adapting an Australian antenatal group-based parenting program to Japanese and Vietnamese public service settings. International Electronic Journal of Health Education. 2012; 15: 191-202. js.sagamorepub.com/gjhep/article/download/4221/3692
- Goto A, Suzuki Y, Nguyen QV, Nguyen TTV, Trinh HP, Pham NM, Nguyen TM, Yasumura S, NDGD Parenting Support Team. Pilot study on a group-based parenting program in a Vietnamese public hospital: Program acceptance among mothers and staff. Asia-Pacific Psychiatry. 2012; 4: 76-83.
- Kaneko C, Goto A, Watanabe K, Yasumura S. Time to presenting to hospital and associated factors in stroke patients: a hospital-based study in Japan. Swiss Medical Weekly. 2011; 141: w13296.
- Suzuki Y, Goto A, Nguyen QV, Nguyen TTV, Pham NM, Chung TMT, Trinh HP, Pham VT, Yasumura S. Postnatal depression and associated parenting indicators among Vietnamese women. Asia-Pacific Psychiatry. 2011; 3: 219-227.
- Kawai T, Goto A, Watanabe E, Nagasawa M, Yasumura S. Lower respiratory tract infections and gastrointestinal infections among mature babies in Japan. Pediatrics International. 2011; 53: 431-445.
- Yokokawa H, Sanada H, Goto A, Watanabe T, Felder RA, Jose PA, Eisner GM, Yasumura S. Characteristics of Antihypertensive Medication and Change of Prescription Over 1 Year of Follow Up in Japan: Fukushima Research of Hypertension (FRESH). American Journal of Hypertension. 2010; 23: 1299-1305.
- Soejima K, Goto A, Phan TNV, Le HTB, Nguyen QV, Pham NM, Deshpande GA, Yasumura S, Akira Fukao. Perception of anesthesia safety and postoperative symptoms of surgery patients in Ho Chi Minh City, Vietnam: A pioneering trial of postoperative care assessment in a developing nation. Environmental Health and Preventive Medicine. 2010; 15: 333-343.
- Goto A, Yabe J, Sasaki H, Yasumura D. Short-term operational evaluation of a group-parenting program for Japanese mothers with poor psychological status: adopting a Canadian program into Asian public service setting. Health Care for Women International. 2010; 31: 636-651.